17 August 2008

The Dark Knight - Movie Review

I wasn't too excited about seeing The Dark Knight. The only reason I did, was because I had a lot of time on my hands. But one thing is clear. I don't regret the decision.

To say The Dark Knight is the best movie that I've seen, is a bit of a lie. To say that it's an awesome movie, would be true. In fact, it's one of the few movies which I liked more and more, with every passing day after I had seen it.

It's too boring to tell you the plot, or the name of all the characters and actors. I'll dive right into why I liked the movie.


The story, is about how Batman begins to question whether he is the ideal hero for Gotham, or whether Harvey Dent - the District Attorney (played by Aaron Eckhart) could do a better job. That's when the menace of the Joker appears. As shown in the opening scenes, the Joker plans the robbery of a bank which was holding the Mob's money. Later, the Joker strikes a deal with the Mob. He will kill the Batman for them, in return for half their money.

What follows is an action packed movie, filled with menace, suspense and thrill. I don't want to give away any more plot details, so I'll talk about the best reason to watch The Dark Knight. One word. Joker.

Heath Ledger is an amazing actor, at least in the role of the Joker. Few villains can actually do more than produce an evil laugh. Heath Ledger can make even the most seasoned movie goer shudder. And he does it with style.

The catch phrase, "Why so serious?" and "Let's put a smile on your face", will stay in my mind for a long time.

If you're wondering whether or not to watch this movie, let me help you out. Watch it. Watch it, even if you're not a fan of Batman. Watch it even if you don't like action movies. Because, its worth it all when you see the Joker utter those heart stopping words.

"Why So Serious....?"

Scorecard (Out of 5):
Acting: 4
Direction: 4
Story: 3.5
Overall: 4
Repeat Viewing Value: 2 - 4

1 comment: